A kitchen renovation is a wonderful chance to put your own unique stamp on one of the busiest rooms in your home. Kitchen renovations are an opportunity to put some of your own unique style and quirks into your home, as well as show off to friends and neighbors.
There are, of course, some standard features any kitchen renovation is going to include. You’ll install new countertops, upgrade your cabinets and appliances, and perhaps work in some new flooring and plumbing. These are all fairly standard, and if you have any friends who have recently remodeled, you’ll probably have a good idea of the sort of positive changes these standard improvements can make.
But why limit yourself to the basics? Your kitchen renovation is a chance to work in some ideas that are a little more off the beaten track. If you’re looking for a more unique reaction to your kitchen, why not incorporate some of these great ideas?
- Can’t decide whether you want the benefits of a kitchen island or more open space in your kitchen? Why not get the best of both worlds with a kitchen island on wheels? A moveable island allows you to customize your kitchen for different situations. If you’re preparing a big meal, you can use the island for extra prep space. You can then neatly move it out of the way to leave the kitchen more open when you’re done. If your kitchen footprint is limited, a movable island is a great way to get extra surfaces without sacrificing space.
- Low on counter space? Don’t like seeing your counters cluttered with toasters, coffee makers, and other every day appliances? An appliance garage is a great way to organize all your regularly used appliances, and keep them out of the way when they’re not being used.
- Love the idea of a stone countertop, but afraid they’ll be too cold in the morning? A radiant-heat mat can be installed under your countertop, which can take that extra chilly edge off of granite, marble, quartz and other stone surfaces. They can raise the temperature of your countertop by 20 degrees; perfect on those cold, winter mornings.
When you’re planning your kitchen renovation, don’t be afraid to think outside the box! Consider it your opportunity to add a special signature addition to your kitchen; one that will benefit you and your family for years to come.
If you’re planning on renovating your bathroom, it’s a good idea to try to maximize the amount of natural light present. Not only will this save a significant amount of money on your energy bill, but natural light benefits homeowners by helping combat seasonal dips in mood. It creates a more positive environment.
Of course, this can sometimes be a difficult task to accomplish in the bathroom because of the need for privacy. Too many windows might make your bathroom feel more like a public place than a private one! A balancing act is needed, to give you all the positive benefits of natural lighting without ruining the sanctity of your private space.
Casement windows – sometimes known as crank-out windows – are a great first step. Rather than having a handle and lifting up, they’re hinged at the side and crank outwards. It’s a great way to quickly get rid of steam, and adds a much-needed source of ventilation. They’re quick to open and shut, giving you a quick and easy way to adjust how open your bathroom is.
A picture window is another possibility. Placed high enough on the wall, it preserves most of your privacy while still letting in wonderful amounts of light. Because picture windows do not open, they do not need to be placed in a convenient location to reach them – placing them up high allows light to flow in without any significant issues.
No matter what windows you choose, however, frosted or privacy glass is a must. It allows a significant amount of sunlight to come through, but is opaque enough to hide from unwanted views. They provide privacy without blocking light.
A tube skylight guarantees privacy while providing tons of diffuse natural light. Unlike traditional skylights – which require a direct line of sight from the roof to the room below – tube skylights can transfer light from your rooftop to nearly anywhere in your home, including closets, hallways and, yes, bathrooms.
Finally, a very simple solution is just adding more mirrors. A well placed mirror helps enhance and redirect most of a room’s natural light, and makes the entire room feel more open and airy.
If this sounds good to you, you might be in the market for a bathroom remodeling. Parada Kitchens is your premier bathroom renovation company in the Greater Toronto Area. Call us today for a free, no obligation consultation to discuss your bathroom renovation.
One of the most important aspects of any kitchen is the cooking surface or range – that is, after all, the essential function of a kitchen. In most kitchen remodels, however, it seems to be relatively low on the priority list, behind countertops, cabinets and islands. While all of those aspects can add great aesthetic beauty to a kitchen, form without function isn’t particularly useful.
Benefits of a Cooktop
Most people simply use a range for cooking – a combination stovetop and oven – but a kitchen remodel is the perfect opportunity to consider splitting these two items up, which has several benefits over a traditional combination unit.
- Freed of the need for burners, a wall oven can be placed at a more convenient height, eliminating the need to bend over to load and unload it.
- Your cooktop can be placed anywhere in the kitchen, rather than needing all the room for a bulky oven underneath.
- A smooth-surface cooktop can blend seamlessly into your countertop, creating a sleek, elegant look.
- A separate cooktop can allow for more room for wheelchair access for handicapped cooks, or for extra cabinet space.
- Having separate cooktops and ovens means you can pick the features of the two independently, allowing more customization to fit your needs.
These benefits can easily outweigh the costs of purchasing and installing two separate appliances.
Picking a Cooktop
There are three primary different types of cooktop available: gas burners, radiant electric tops and induction cookers. All three have their own distinct advantages and disadvantages, and the one you choose will depend on your specific situation.
- Gas burners provide instant heat and are quick to respond to changes in temperature, but require a supply of gas and are harder to clean.
- Radiant electric cooktops look sleek and smooth, and their flat surface is the easiest to clean by far. They’re more expensive, however, and can be more complicated to repair.
- Induction cookers are safe to the touch, which is important if you have small children, and are highly energy efficient. They can be expensive, however, and require ferromagnetic (i.e., stainless steel or iron) cookware to work.
Pick Your Features
There are dozens of different models of cooktop to choose from, and each have their own special features and layouts. For instance, there are the controls: some cooktops have controls vertically on the front, which frees space on your cooktop surface but also places knobs where they can be easily bumped while you work. Others have controls horizontally along the side of the burners, taking up space but much harder to accidently hit.
Some cooktops use classic twist knobs, but more expensive electric models have electronic touch controls – perfect if you’re looking for that smooth, flat look across your entire countertop. Electric models can include timers, emergency shutoff safety features – even pre-programmed heat profiles, like hitting the popcorn button on your microwave.
There are dozens of options to choose from, at all different price points. Your final decision will be based on what you specifically do in your kitchen, but regardless, choosing to have a separate cooktop installed gives you much more flexibility and freedom in your decision making process.
The bathroom is, in many ways, the most dependable, ironclad sanctuary we have; the place where we can let go of the cares of the world and indulge ourselves. As such it’s vital the bathroom presents a welcoming, relaxing, engaging face and that all amenities are up to date and properly maintained. Like everything else though, even the most comfortable bathroom will begin to show its age with the wear and tear typically manifesting itself first in the vanity, simply because it’s such a central component of the bathroom milieu.
Bathroom Vanities Toronto and the Central Role They Play
People get attached to their bathroom vanities in Toronto the same way they get attached to a particular dresser, the kitchen cabinets or other household furnishings. Because of this they’re often reluctant to replace it. But while familiarity is a powerful force there are a slew of good reasons to thank your old bathroom vanity for its years of service and just move on. Here are 6.
- Selling the house: This one tops the list for 2 reasons. First, home sales succeed or fail based on the kitchen and bathroom(s). And second, if you’re planning to move any attachment you may have had to the old bathroom is about to be broken anyway so you have nothing to lose.
- Excessive wear: Bathrooms make rainforests seem like the desert. All the moisture in a busy bathroom takes its toll on the vanity, its frame (which is typically wood) and its surfaces. Wood begins to rot and dangerous molds settle in that can be devilishly difficult to remove.
- Yesterday’s model: If your guests emerge from the bathroom saying “I used to have a vanity like that in my house when I was a kid!” it may be time to call Parada bathroom vanities Toronto to discuss options.
- Space: One sure fire way to create space in the bathroom is to reduce the size of the vanity. And, just as installing a smaller vanity is the easiest way to open things up, installing a larger vanity is the best way to accommodate the needs of your growing family.
- Cost: Replacing bathroom vanities in Toronto is an affordable way to give the impression you’ve done a bathroom makeover. You won’t have to install new tiles or a new shower. Just replace the vanity, hang some wallpaper, change the fixtures and voila! A new bathroom!
- Acknowledge growth: Often, bathrooms designated for the kids will be built out in a cutesy fashion. If the kids are now teens however, it’s time to think about changing the look of the kid’s bathroom to acknowledge their budding maturity.
If you’ve decided it’s time to rethink your bathroom vanity call Parada Kitchens and Bathrooms today. We’re the premier choice for new bathroom vanities in Toronto and have installed scores in homes large and small, new and old right across the GTA. We’ll create a custom vanity for you that will enhance your home’s livability without costing you a fortune.
Everyone wants to get more bang for their buck during a bathroom renovation in Toronto but that can be an elusive goal. You may find a great deal on tiles only to wind up overpaying for their installation, or you may decide to handle some of the work yourself to save money only to find it fails the inspector’s scrutiny and needs to be redone by a pro. You can’t let the spectre of financial setbacks dissuade you from doing what you need to do however, you just need to find more and better ways to keep costs under control.
Ways to Control the Cost of Bathroom Renovation in Toronto
When it comes to bathroom renovation in Toronto keeping costs under control is a matter of being both diligent and innovative. Here are some methods and tips that should help.
- An affordable way to improve the look of your bathroom is to replace the hardware. That’s faucets, handles, toilet paper holder, cabinet door knobs, towel racks and anything else.
- If you really want to change the experience of your bathroom for next to nothing simply install a rain shower head. It can be the cheapest bathroom renovation Toronto has to offer.
- You can change both the floor and wall tiles in an effort to create a new look for your bathroom or you can just install a frameless glass shower enclosure instead.
- Speaking of tiles; you can spruce up the look of the entire bathroom by thoroughly cleaning, re-caulking and re-grouting all the tiles rather than replacing them.
- Another inexpensive way to change the ambiance in your bathroom is to install vanity lights or just a few recessed lights on separate dimmers. It will really feel like a whole new space.
- Instead of selecting the most expensive piece of granite in the countertop showroom for your vanity ask them if they have a remnant lying about from a previous job that they’ll give you a deal on. Because the vanity is typically a small area they may have a piece that will fit.
- Most bathrooms lean heavily toward the white. If yours is one of those an easy way to change the atmosphere is to simply introduce a darker tone or tones that can break up the visual experience. The paint won’t cost much and will make a fundamental difference.
- A new custom vanity can be pretty expensive. Many times it’s worth the stretch but sometimes you really need to rein in costs. In that event find someone with experience resurfacing cabinets. They won’t be cheap, but they’ll be less than a new vanity.
Bathroom renovation in Toronto can be a pretty expensive proposition but it doesn’t have to be. Whether you’re just looking to give your WC a facelift or want to create a fundamentally different experience you can hold onto more of your hard-earned money by following some of the above tips. For more ideas or to discuss a kitchen or bath renovation call Parada Kitchens and Bathrooms today.