Questions You Should Ask When Ordering Custom Cabinets for Your Home
The kitchen is arguably the most important room in your home so it’s important to dedicate the time and money necessary to making certain that it is as functional and aesthetically pleasing as possible. And when remodeling your home, kitchen cabinets are one of the most important components.
If your budget permits, we absolutely recommend that you opt for custom cabinets. That being said, choosing the right cabinets isn’t easy. Follow our simple tips and you will find the best kitchen solution for your needs.
Simple Guide to Selecting the Best Custom Cabinets for Your Kitchen
Before shelling out your hard-earned cash on a set of kitchen cabinets for your home, be sure to ask the following questions:
- What is the Box Quality?—While it’s easy to get caught up in all the bells and whistles, remember that the interior of the cabinet is the most important thing. The box should be made of strong plywood and the face frame of top-quality hardwood. Also remember that the wood should be properly finished to prevent wear-and-tear and promote ease of cleaning. It should be finished in-shop, not at the installation site.
- Can You Tell Me About Hardware?—Cabinets come with a surprising amount of crucial hardware pieces. In order for them to function properly, as well as be durable, it’s important that all pieces are of a top-notch manufacture. In particular, ask about the hinges and door glides. These make opening and closing smoother as well as enhance durability. The quality of the hinges is also absolutely crucial.
- Can I see the Design Blueprints?—This is one of the first questions to ask, as both the functioning and aesthetics depend on the original design. How are the cabinets situated? How large is each individual cabinet? Do they utilize vertical or horizontal doors? Remember that it’s your custom kitchen, so you should ask as many questions as possible. Don’t hesitate to have a third-party take a look at the blueprints as well. Be sure that things are planned according to your liking from the very beginning.
- Do You Perform the Install Yourself?—Many kitchen designers hire a subcontractor to perform the actual custom cabinet installation. While there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s preferable to have the designer do it personally. They put together the design and know best how to make the finished project fit the vision.
- How Will the Assembly and Install Process Work?—How the cabinets are put together is even more important than who will perform the installation. The box and cabinet doors should be assembled using glued pocket screws for maximum strength and staying-power. A stapled box without glue is unlikely to last long, and the use of face nails can cause an unsightly appearance.
If you live in the Toronto area and are in the market for custom cabinets, don’t hesitate to give us at Parada Kitchens a call at 416-762-3500. We do everything to exacting standards and would be happy to give you a free estimate!