The old days of a kitchen cabinet resembling little more than a wooden box mounted on a counter are long gone. In the current era, modern kitchen cabinets come with all kinds of standard and custom bells and whistles that make your kitchen more functional. However, it can be tough to keep up with all of the new features available.
When remodeling your kitchen it’s important to balance ease-of-use with the need for cabinets that complement the existing aesthetic. But don’t worry; we’ve got you covered with all of the info you need to select the best kitchen cabinets available.
The Best Kitchen Cabinet Features Favoured by Kitchen Designers
- Automatic Closing Mechanism and Soft-Close Hinges—There are few things more annoying (or unsightly) than walking into an otherwise well-organized kitchen and seeing cabinet doors left open. Automatic-closing doors prevent that from happening and are especially useful if you have children living in the house! On the other hand, soft-close hinges make your cabinets easier to close and minimize wear-and-tear on the structure. The downside is that they take up some space, but it’s a small price to pay in our view.
- Horizontal Cabinets—This feature is now popular with customers and designers; the cabinets have a single door which is pulled up rather than out. This means that you don’t have to duck out of the way when opening a kitchen cabinet door.
- Drawer Slides—These are easy to install and will do wonders for the ease of use and durability of you cabinetry. Drawer slides allow you to close the door with just a slight, efficient nudge; gone are the days of struggling with a drawer to get it to close! Drawers in general have advantages over traditional cabinets when placed at low elevations.
- Open Shelves—Open shelves are popular with many customers because of the convenience of simply reaching in and pulling out the needed item. They can also be used to showcase decorative items. The only downside is that items can collect dust and oil; don’t place open shelves close to the cook top and make sure to dust at regular intervals.
- Shallow is a Positive Feature—The first objective of kitchen cabinets is to be functional; you should be able to reach in and get what you need with a minimal amount of time and effort.
Kitchen designers and customers are coming around to the idea that shallow cabinets are much better than deep ones because items don’t get lost or forgotten about. A great way to install shallow cabinets in to put in floor-to-ceiling pantries. These have the same amount of storage space as traditional cabinets but are easier to use.If you’re in need of kitchen remodeling or new kitchen cabinets, check us out at Paradakitchens.ca or call 416-762-3500 today. We’ve built a reputation around the Toronto area for doing excellent work and we’re certain we can find a solution that meets your exact requirements!