As with all types of fashion and décor, each year brings in new trends and themes for the modern-day kitchen. From the colourful kitchens of the 1950s, to the dark-stained kitchen cabinets and earthy appliances of the 1980s, each decade brings new kitchen trends. And the same way that bell bottoms are in one year and out the next, kitchen design also changes each and every year. If you’re looking to update your kitchen, and want to be sure it’s in style (and will stay that way for a while), our kitchen designers have put together a list of the most popular kitchen trends for 2014.
Top 6 Design Trends from our Kitchen Designers for 2014
- Natural Materials – From red brick walls and islands, to cupboard doors showing the wood’s natural grain, modern kitchens are incorporating a little bit of the outdoors to soften the look of the sleek, streamlined kitchens of today.
- Warmer Metal Hardware and Fixtures – The days of stainless steel fixtures may be coming to an end. With the natural elements of 2014’s kitchens, our kitchen designers are seeing the trend move towards brass, aged-gold, and even black and iron finishes. Statement hoods in these finishes are also becoming quite popular.
- Showcase Cabinetry – Typical cupboards running parallel to the counters are being accented by large, built-in cabinetry that extends right down to the countertop. These sections bring a focus point to the cabinetry, and are often thoughtfully designed with glass-fronted cupboards and other details to break up the monotony of the running cupboards and their plain cabinet doors.
- Large, Showcase Backsplashes – Marble is no longer just for the countertops. Our kitchen designers are seeing large backsplashes made of marble or granite, adding a nice focal point to the room and showcasing the natural beauty of the durable material.
- Sconce Lighting – Under-the-cabinet lighting is becoming less popular as the trends in cabinetry change, leaving more open space on the walls for sconce lighting fixtures which can act as showpieces themselves. Again, our kitchen designers are seeing a trend towards brass, aged-gold and other metals that offer a somewhat rustic yet modern feel.
- Open Shelving – One of the newest trends that is quickly taking off, is open shelving. While cupboard doors do serve their purpose, open shelving offers the opportunity to show off that trendy kitchenware you’ve been collecting.
Renovating your kitchen can seem daunting if you’re unsure of how to incorporate the newest trends. At Parada Kitchens & Bathrooms, our experienced designers are always up to speed on the latest styles, and would love to help you design the kitchen of your dreams. Our designers work hand in hand with our talented carpenters to create custom cabinets and designs that will realise those dreams. From concept to completion, we have worked with customers all over the Toronto area to create beautiful kitchens that make cooking and entertaining an absolute pleasure. Give us a call to get started on designing the kitchen you’ve always wanted.