Are you currently trying to decide whether your kitchen could do with a facelift and if so, how far you should go? In that case, you need to take a look at our guide to kitchen cabinet refacing, which has been put together to help you decide whether this is the right choice for you at the moment. In the end, it is of course your decision and nobody else has the right to tell you what to do. What you will find in this short article, is a collection of questions which, as you think about your answers for each one, will hopefully help you to make up your mind as to what is really the best option for you and your family.
Is Kitchen Cabinet Refacing the Best Solution?
If you ask all of the kitchen design gurus in Toronto whether refacing is a good idea, you are sure to get a wide variety of answers. However, one thing that all of the design experts you question will probably say is that it really depends on the individual and what he or she is hoping to achieve.
- Does Your Kitchen Look Tired? – If you are really happy with the existing design of your kitchen but you feel that it is starting to look a little shabby, kitchen cabinet refacing could be the perfect solution for you. The great thing about refacing is that you can keep exactly the same colour scheme and design as you already have, if this is what you want. However, once the work has been completed, you will have a kitchen that both looks and feels brand new.
- Is Your Budget for Changes Fairly Tight? – If you would quite like to completely change the look of your kitchen but you simply aren’t prepared to spend a large sum of money on renovations at the moment, you may well find that kitchen cabinet refacing is the most practical and cost effective solution for your needs. Whilst the layout of your kitchen will remain unchanged, as will the countertops and appliances, replacing the veneer on the cabinet boxes, along with the doors and drawer fronts, will make a huge difference to the overall ambience and the décor.
- Have You Damaged Your Cabinets? – If you or a member of your family accidentally damages your kitchen cabinets, refacing could be the cheapest way to restore them to their former glory. If you fancy a change at the same time, you can of course elect to replace the existing veneer and wooden panels with completely different ones. Many people do take the opportunity to make big changes at a time such as this.
There may be other reasons that kitchen cabinet refacing is the right choice for you but the ones listed above are those most commonly cited by our customers. If you want to find out more about refacing and how much it might cost, please call us during business hours or send an email at any time.
Homeowners in Toronto and elsewhere in Canada have a great choice of standard cabinets when renovating their kitchens. Given this fact, you may have asked yourself just why you should pay the premium that custom kitchen cabinets often attract. The short answer to this question is you shouldn’t, at least not if standard cabinets can meet all of your needs at an attractive price point. The long answer, as you might expect, is a little more involved.
What Custom Kitchen Cabinets Have to Offer
There are a number of reasons why custom cabinets might be a better choice for your new kitchen, some of which are listed below.
- Sizing – The first thing you will notice when shopping for standard kitchen cabinets is the fact that they come in a range of standard sizes. This makes it easier for manufacturers to produce a large volume of cabinets at a low price point but it can cause problems for homeowners with very specific needs. If you would rather have furniture that is designed to fit your kitchen, as opposed to having to design your kitchen around the available cabinets, custom units are almost certainly your best option. Owners of properties with unusually shaped kitchens are likely to find that standard units restrict their options quite severely.
- Design – If you would like to choose your own unique combination of wood, handles, doors and cabinet bodies, custom kitchen cabinets are the only practical solution. The best way to determine if this is something that you would like to do is to take a look at the cabinets in stock locally and see if any of them will fit in with your proposed kitchen design. If it looks like you are going to have to make too many compromises, by going with standard cabinets as opposed to custom units, you should probably opt for the latter.
- Quality – There is no doubt that custom units are the best choice if quality is your prime concern. Produced by experienced and highly skilled cabinetmakers, using the very finest materials available, the best custom kitchen cabinets are of a much higher quality than their standard counterparts. The quality of the units that you order will of course be dependent on the materials that you specify, so be prepared to do a little research for the best possible results. You should also research the company you are going to order them from, to make sure that they are a reputable firm with a good track record of delivering on their promises.
If you would like some expert advice regarding the buying and fitting of custom kitchen cabinets in your home, please do not hesitate to call us at Parada Kitchens whenever you have a moment to spare. We can talk you through all of the options that might be suitable for your home and explain the effect that choosing various different options might have on the delivery times and overall cost of your new cabinets.
The doors are the most noticeable part of your kitchen cabinets so it is vital to pick the right ones, whether you are renovating the entire room or just the cabinets themselves. They will play a central part in any décor that you choose for your kitchen and they may also have an impact as far as functionality is concerned. There are many different styles from which to choose not to mention the numerous different material and colour options that are available for custom kitchen cabinets in Canada. It is for this reason that we decided to put together a short guide, featuring the most popular door styles on sale today.
Which Doors Are Right for Your Kitchen Cabinets?
Before you choose a certain style, colour or material for your doors, think about the look that you are trying to create in your kitchen. It is also a good idea to come up with a budget for your new doors, so you can focus on those options that fit both your pocket and your tastes in kitchen design.
- Recess Panels – This is a very popular style owing to the fact that they work equally well in both contemporary and traditional kitchens. For a light airy feel, choose woods such as maple birch or hickory when ordering this type of door for your kitchen cabinets.
- Shaker – This style needs no introduction and in our opinion is a great choice for casual kitchens. A dark finish such as teak or cherry mahogany works well when using this style of door in a warm, friendly kitchen.
- Slab – The slab looks exactly like it sounds: a nice solid slab of your choice of wood, with no frills. It is an excellent choice for modern kitchens and looks especially good in a plain black or white finish. If you prefer the look of natural wood, soft maple and walnut are two options that are worth further investigation when ordering slab doors.
- Louvre Doors – A classic design that looks great in colonial-style kitchens, white painted louvre doors are one of our personal favourites. If you would like to recreate a slice of the Caribbean in your own home, try painting them in turquoise, pale blue or any other pastel colour that takes your fancy. Paired with white kitchen cabinets, they will look fantastic.
- Mullion Doors with Glass Panes – If you have a beautiful crockery collection that you would like to show off to visitors, mullion doors with clear glass panes could be the ideal solution for your kitchen cabinets. Add internal lights and you have the perfect display cabinets. If you have young children in the home, it may be best to use these with wall-mounted units alone.
If you are interested in these or any other style of cabinet doors, please feel free to call us at any time for further details. Alternatively, come and see our collection for yourself at our Toronto showroom in Dundas Street West.
Now is a fantastic time to be renovating your kitchen, with good quality cabinets available in some really amazing styles. However, many Toronto homeowners find it difficult to choose a décor that complements their modern kitchen cabinets perfectly, which is why we decided to collect a few tips from the experts. If you have found a cabinet design that you absolutely love but you are not sure what type of colour scheme and overall décor will work best with it in your kitchen, the following list should give you some food for thought.
Creating the Perfect Setting for Your Modern Kitchen Cabinets
There are a number of areas on which you should focus when putting together a new kitchen design featuring modern cabinets. Below are the most important of these, along with some tips on the best choices for each area.
- Appliances – An ultra-modern kitchen, with stylish cabinets and striking countertops, needs modern appliances or the overall effect will be compromised. With something like slab door cabinets, in a dark veneer, stainless steel appliances are an excellent choice. If you stick to stainless and one type of veneer across the whole kitchen, you can create a very sleek and modern design that will look good for many years to come. If you really don’t like stainless steel appliances, plain white could also work well with this type of design.
- Countertops – Natural stone is all the rage at the moment but there are certain types that will work better with a modern kitchen than others. Marble, for example, is generally more suited to traditional kitchens but quartz countertops or a polished granite, on the other hand, could be an excellent choice. Think striking contrasts when you are choosing colours for your countertops and you won’t go far wrong. Probably the worst type of surface to pair with very modern kitchen cabinets would be a wooden veneer of a similar colour to the cabinet doors.
- Fixtures and Fittings – The faucets, lights and other fittings in your kitchen will need to be carefully chosen if they are to complement your modern kitchen cabinets. Old-fashioned, ornate nickel plated faucets, for instance, would most certainly look out of place in a modern kitchen design. A better choice would be simple, brushed chrome fittings that match the handles on your cabinet doors.
- Colour Scheme – There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to choosing colours to go with modern kitchen cabinets but you will obviously need to bear the colour of the cabinets themselves in mind when making your final choice. Generally speaking, bold colours work better than pale, pastel shades, with black and white among the most popular choices.
If you are still not sure what type of décor would go best with modern cabinets, we would be delighted to be of assistance. Please call or email us with your questions and we will answer them as soon as we possibly can.
If you would love to have a beautiful, contemporary kitchen, with cabinets, work surfaces and other furnishings that complement each other and create the impression of a thoroughly modern cooking area, pick up the phone and talk to a member of our sales team today. We can build custom cabinets from a variety of different materials to meet the needs of individual clients. Whatever the size of your kitchen and whatever your preferences as far as colour schemes and types of finishes are concerned, we can supply you with a finished product that are perfect in every way.
Ordering Modern Kitchen Cabinets from Parada Kitchens
Although we offer a flexible service and can adapt our approach to meet the specific needs of our customers, new enquiries and orders are normally dealt with in a similar manner. If you have decided that you would really like to have us make some custom cabinets for your kitchen, the steps below will give you a good idea of what should happen next.
- Contacting Us – The first thing that you need to do is to get in touch with us and let us know your specific requirements. You can either do this by calling us or by dropping into our showroom when you are in the area. If you would like us to come up with some ideas for modern kitchen cabinets that will meet all your requirements, our in-house design team will be more than happy to help.
- Finalising the Design – Once we know exactly what you want, we will create a custom design for your cabinets, for your approval. How long it takes to complete this stage will depend to a large extent on how clear you are about what you want so it is a good idea to think about all the design factors that are important to you now.
- Building Your Cabinets – With an approved design to work from, our skilled cabinet makers will be able to get down to the serious business of building your modern kitchen cabinets. Each custom unit will be built by hand, from carefully selected materials, to ensure that it is both attractive and strong. Although our team will work quickly and efficiently during this stage, they will not cut corners in an attempt to save time or money. It is our goal to provide you with modern kitchen cabinets of the highest quality, at a competitive price, and we can only achieve this goal by adhering to best practices and using the best materials/ hardware
- Delivery and Installation – Upon completion of your cabinets, we will contact you to arrange a convenient time for their delivery and installation. Our team of installers have worked on numerous residential projects in Toronto and the surrounding area so you can rest assured that they know exactly what they are doing. Whether you are just having a few cabinets installed or you have contracted us to renovate your entire kitchen, all work will be completed in a highly professional manner. You can sit back and relax whilst our team takes care of everything on your behalf.
More Than Just Cabinets
As mentioned above, we provide a full kitchen renovation service so if you would like a completely new kitchen to go with your modern kitchen cabinets, we will be delighted to help. We can build and install all the furniture you require, as well as rewire and plumb your kitchen if necessary. We are committed to providing our customers with a comprehensive service that caters to all of their needs so they never have to go anywhere else.